Sunday 6 December 2009

Birthday Girl

 It's my birthday today!
At 43 years old I'm not sure I can still technically be called a "girl" but other than a few lines and a new hip there's little difference in the way I've celebrated my birthday over the years - it usually involves copious amounts of alcohol, great company and outrageous behaviour.
My pre-birthday celebrations started with a twarted attempt to meet the gang at the German Christmas Market in Birmingham. The surging crowds, twee merchandanise and all-pervading smell of smoked meat soon had us beat a hasty retreat to the warmth of a popular city centre rock bar. After a few beers we made our way to a real ale pub. Joined by a few musicians who'd just completed a performance of "The Nutcracker" at Birmingham Hippodrome we shared ale, laughs and hot cider like we'd known each other for years. When the bar staff heard that we were out celebrating my birthday I was serenaded by 100 drinkers and endless drinks were sent over "on the house". 
The evening finished in the wee small hours after a traditionally fiery curry washed down with chilled lager accompanied by a shoddy attempt at Bollywood dancing. 


Some of my fabulous presents from my pals:





 



Today started with a lie-in, a leisurely pub lunch and visits from friends and family. The fun continues tomorrow with another birthday treat, tickets to The Clothes Show Live.

8 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! What lovely items too!
    Best wishes,

    G :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Sounds like it was a good one! I love The Clothes Show - the catwalk show is always amazing. Have fun!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life starts at 43, right? Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I went to The Clothes Show on Friday, but found it a bit weird. Parts were good, other bits were really really tacky and empty. I know you'll love the vintage market and the Oxfam stand! :)
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday. I went to the Clothes Show yesterday as well, hope you loved it, and thank you for your lovely comments on my blog recently :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your messages!
    The Clothes Show was fantastic but I'm in need of an early night now! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix